HOME    NEW ARRIVALS     MONTHLY SPECIALS     ABOUT US    NEWS    CONTACT US     MARTIAL ARTIST     EVENTS     BRAND     FACEBOOK    TWITTER

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Healthy Body, Healhy Mind 10,000 Steps Challenge Talk

Please find below an abridged version of a 5 minute talk I gave today at the launch of the Monash University Healthy Body, Healthy Mind 10,000 Steps Challenge.


Point 1: Keeping at it, even when you’re the slowest out there
When I was younger, about 13 years old, I started running training under an athletics coach by the name of Max Cherry. I only started running because I wanted to improve my fitness for Judo, and I was also playing hockey at the time. The other people who attended Max’s running training sessions competed in athletics and were super fast - I was always one of the slowest at training and continually at the back of the pack. After every session, Max used to say to me, “Keep coming. Just keep coming”. At the time I thought that Max thought that I was a lost cause, and that I was so slow and unfit that I couldn’t be helped. Looking back on it now though, I think Max was just trying to encourage me to train consistently so that I could improve. Ultimately it is through establishing a regular training routine that you make the most important improvements. With anything, the more you practice, the more you improve - A little bit and often is the best strategy.

Point 2: Setting goals (some small, and some big)
I have some long-term, high-level goals. I want to go to the London Olympic Games, and put in a competitive performance. I know though that the best way to achieving the big goals I have is by knocking over small goals. This approach has really helped me. Often I find it difficult to balance my training and university commitments, but by making a list of things I need to do (or goals if you like) – I get a real sense of achievement from crossing them of the list.
My smaller goals are things like beating my training partner at each judo session I do, improving my skin folds (not my favourite topic for discussion) and making sure I don’t miss a training session. By paying attention to these smaller goals and routines, I am simultaneously working toward my bigger picture plans. Breaking the bigger picture down into what I can get done each day makes it more achievable.

Point 3: It’s not all early nights and being out of breath
But physical activity and training isn’t only about achieving fitness goals. Ultimately playing sport is fun, a good opportunity to socialize, and you can make some great friends. Even though Judo is an individual sport, the social aspect of training as part of a group is really important to me. Looking forward to catching up with my friends at training is part of what helps to peel me off the couch and get moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment