HOME    NEW ARRIVALS     MONTHLY SPECIALS     ABOUT US    NEWS    CONTACT US     MARTIAL ARTIST     EVENTS     BRAND     FACEBOOK    TWITTER

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Back to the “Real World”

In his Brownlow Medal acceptance speech on Monday night, Chris Judd described football as “make believe”. In some respects I can relate to what Judd was talking about.

When I go away on Judo trips for training and competition, I like to forget about the world and stresses that I have left behind and just focus on my sporting performance, learning and improving in judo. It is almost like being on a different planet. This is particularly the case when access to the internet and the outside world is limited. My family and I affectionately call it my “Judo bubble”.

The flip side of being in the “Judo bubble” is that when I eventually hit Australian soil again, I am firmly brought back to reality – rent and bills to pay, university assignments and exams to study for. It is a constant struggle trying to balance these competing areas of my life – judo, university and work (not to mention seeing my family and friends!). Time management, organization and decision-making are crucial. For example, imagine that you need to prepare for university exams worth 100% of your overall mark, a really important competition that you need to prepare for, and you need to work in order to pay the bills. This is a common situation faced by many amateur athletes I am sure. Sometimes it is just impossible to fit everything in and priorities are brought into question.

Ideally I would love to put all my efforts into training and competing in judo, without any other distractions, to see how good I could be. Ultimately, however, I do believe that in the long-term there are more benefits in taking a multi-faceted approach to life and being a well-rounded person. It is a more challenging path, but it is also a more rewarding one.

It is important to have perspective and I think this is what Judd was talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment